Aging, Longevity and Health
The IARU Aging, Longevity & Health initiative is one of the earliest joint research initiatives formed by the Alliance in 2006, led by the University of Copenhagen with the Center for Healthy Aging (CEHA) as a key actor.
The group examines this 21st century issue with a multidisciplinary approach. The initiative encompasses biological, psycho-social, cultural and public health policy issues arising from changing human population age demographics and the global human longevity transition.
ALH Research Focus
The Aging Longevity and Health research focus areas are:
- Biology of Aging
- Cohorts, Cognition and the Brain
- Changing Demographic, Economic, Social and Physical Environments and Healthy Aging
- Technology and Aging
The activities arranged by the ALH network include: Scientific conferences, symposia, networking meetings and graduate student conferences.
New Frontiers and Perspectives, 17 October 2018
To be held in the lion city of Singapore, the conference will bring together renown researchers from across the IARU global alliance to feature innovations on:
- Healthy Aging
- Employment and Employability of Older Adults
- Community Support for At Risk Older Adults
- Aging, Technology and the Environment
The IARU Graduate Student Conference will also be held concurrent with the Scientific Conference to enable graduate students to share their research and explore the possibility of collaborative partnerships within the IARU Network. Partial scholarships of up to Singapore $1000/- will be available to graduate students whose abstracts are accepted for presentation. Information on the abstract submission requirements can be found here.
ALH Steering Group
Since 2014, an IARU ALH Steering Group has been heading the initiative. The Steering Group intends to meet once per year. The members are (as of January 2016):
- Prof. Lene Juel Rasmussen, University of Copenhagen (chair from June 2014-May 2016)
- Prof. Kaarin Anstey, Australian National University
- Prof. Michael Ristow, ETH Zürich
- Prof. Ho Teck Hua, National University of Singapore
- Prof. Junichiro Okata, University of Tokyo (next chair: June 2016-May 2018)
- Dr. Louise Lafortune, University of Cambridge
- Prof. Sarah Harper, University of Oxford
- Prof. David Lindeman, University of California, Berkeley
- Prof. Xiaoying Zheng, Peking University
The mission of the Steering Group is: to facilitate exchange of ideas and collaborative interdisciplinary research projects on human aging among IARU ALH researchers at IARU member universities